The Passionate Pilgrim

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Must. Eat. Brains.

While going to buy a few more novels by Kathy Reichs, I came across a table of books about vampires, ghouls, and other sundry things. One caught my eye, Zombie Haiku, and I immediately bought it. It's supposed to be the writings, in perfect haiku form, of a poet named Chris Lynch, starting in the early days of the zombie plague. It also contains pictures of zombies on blood-spattered pages. Starting with his earliest efforts, such as:

Joy! Magic exists!
An old dream of mine came true
and I think it's love.

Then we get the first inklings of something wrong:

A guy almost dies
stumbling onto the road.
Too drunk to walk straight.

Then it gets downright scary:

Something is not right.
If my blood is in puddles
why do I feel strong?

And grossly hilarious:

Brains are less squishy
and a tad bit more squeeky
than someone might guess.

What a clever idea! I wish I had thought of it. Years ago, I wrote a series of erotic haiku, which got some interesting responses when they were published in an alternative journal. This might have been one of them:

fall leaves dancing by
eyes fixed in fervid caress
hand stroking hot flesh

If you want some twisted poetic fun, read Zombie Haiku by Ryan Mecum

1 Comments:

At 11:11 PM, Blogger David Boni said...

Indeed, it is quite a creative read! I sat and read through almost all it at Borders before last Christmas (I was originally looking for a good book for my girlfriend).

I was surprised by how well the mentioning of different body parts and their removal fits the scheme of haiku.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home